Tuesday, February 21, 2012

On the Town: Perogy Boyz Food Truck

This past Friday, I managed to experience my first food tuck when some co-workers decided to head downtown in search of the Perogy Boyz. We found the bright red truck parked along 5th Avenue SW across from the McDougall Centre. Unfortunately I did not think to take any photos so I have had to borrow some.

Perogy Boyz Food Truck via To Market, To Market

For my first experience I decided to stick with the classic and ordered the Traditional Perogies - filled with potato and cottage cheese, served with caramelized onions, bacon and sour cream ($7.00).

Traditional Perogies via The Open Banana

Growing up in a Ukrainian family with a Baba of my own, I have tried my fair share of perogies and these perogies were pretty close to the one's of my childhood memories. However they were a little oilier than I would have preferred. The onion and bacon topping was delicious - caramelized to perfection. The serving size was a little small but then again I am used to gorging myself on perogies at the family Easter feast so maybe my perspective of an appropriate serving size is off. My co-workers also gave their good reviews.

The Mexicali Perogies looked delicious - filled with ground beef and topped with a generous amount of fresh tomatoes, green onion, cheddar cheese and chili aioli. I would be tempted to return one more time to try the Duck Perogies topped with saskatoon berries and ponzu sauce - the combination sounds intriguing.

Service was outstanding for a food truck - the food was served fast and the cook even took the time to stick his head out of the window to do the obligatory first bite check.

Perogy Boyz Food Truck
http://perogyboyz.com/
Check out YYC Food Trucks for their current location
Rating: ♥♥

  Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...